Sunday, March 4, 2012

Be vulnerable.

(source)
I am shy. It is hard for me to trust others and open up. And for a while it felt that all the people who I opened myself up to, in both romantic relationships and friendships, hurt me, one after the other. The sting became too much. So for months, to protect myself, I closed myself off from basically everyone. I barely said much to anyone, so high were the walls I built around myself. The result  was that I was very much alone. I felt that I was strong because I didn't need anyone. I was independent, a lone girl in a fortress against the entire world.

But I was the opposite of strong. I was weak. I was hiding. I was like a seed, unwilling to sprout or grow.

I was denying myself pain but also happiness. I need friendships and support just as much as everyone else, and I was denying myself that crucial aspect of life.

Thankfully I found new friends who I could talk to and trust. I started dating again. Slowly, I allow myself to open up. Sometimes I will end up hurt, but it is a risk I am willing to take.

For, now I understand that being vulnerable is a strength. Not just in relationships, but in life. If you want your blog to be unique, you must allow yourself to shine through. If you want your art to truly speak to others, you must bleed a little so that we see that you are human. Then people can relate to you. Then your work will mean something. Then it becomes beautiful.

So, I dare you: Be vulnerable. Allow your true self to come through in everything that you do. Take risks every day in order to grow.




No comments:

Post a Comment