Monday, May 21, 2012

Beginning a New Hobby: Photography

I just got myself a new digital camera! And I am so excited. When it came in the mail I felt like a four-year-old on Christmas.

My new camera (taken with my phone, ha)

After researching cameras, I got an Olympus PEN E-PL1. I wanted a camera that wasn't too pricey, something lightweight and small for everyday use, but more than a point-and-shoot...something that can grow with me as I learn more about photography. There is a new, hybrid type of camera that fits the bill perfectly: Micro Four Thirds. These are smaller than D-SLRs but have manual capabilities and deliver quality pictures that can compete with the larger cameras. I am not going to get very technical because I am still learning what of all these terms mean. However, I picked this Olympus PEN because it seems to be the best bang-for-your-buck you can find. I love how retro it looks and how it feels in my hand. I haven't tried it out yet as I'm waiting on the SD card, but I cannot wait to start snapping pictures!

I am usually a slow decision maker, but I had such a strong compulsion to get a decent camera that I just had to follow it. I felt some resistance, of course: "There are so many amazing photographers out there! You'll never be good enough!" and the like. It's true that photography is a particularly 'in' hobby right now, thanks to sites like Instagram and Tumblr.

But why let that stop me? I figure that it will be fun, and no time will be wasted in developing a new skill set. Increasingly, it is not one particular talent but a blend of skills that help you rise from the crowd. If anything, now I can take my own pictures for my blog.

Plus, it is so much fun to learn something new! I have been absorbing all I can about photography and am showing no signs of slowing down.

What has excited you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment